- This event has passed.
SCUTTLE, SALVAGE, OR STEP UP A NOTCH?
June 13 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm$20
NAFTA Modernization and how state and non-state actors have been shaping a rewrite
OWIT Chicago is partnering with our friends at the Canada-U.S. Business Council Chicago! OWIT Members will receive the Members discount!
- Members and their Guests: $20
- Non-Members $30
Includes light snacks and a glass of beer/wine.
Join the Consul General for Canada in Chicago, John Cruickshank who will moderate a discussion with Québec Delegate Jean-François Hould, Montreal international trade attorney Vincent Routhier and Chicago immigration lawyer Cynthia Shearn
In 2017 Canada, Mexico, and the United States began negotiations to update or reform the North American Free Trade Agreement, in force since 1994. Other actors have also been hard at work to help shape a new agreement, including subnational governments and industries with much at stake. The discussion will touch on these and other topics, including:
• Labor mobility: why it’s important, and how it might be updated, expanded, or curtailed
• Contingency plans in case cross-border employee travel and transfers are disrupted
• The inside story of Canada’s response to U.S. metals tariffs
• How could a revised NAFTA impact Canada’s future relationships with Europe and the Trans-Pacific Partnership?
• Practical considerations for doing business in Canada today
Since 1994, Vincent Routhier has practiced international trade and customs law in Montreal and Washington, DC, having earned law degrees in both cities. A dual national, he advises clients on strategic issues arising from WTO, NAFTA, and other trade agreements, as well as technical issues around tariff classification, rules of origin, export controls, and other matters.
Cynthia Shearn is President of the Canada-U.S. Business Council Chicago and a Partner in Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen,& Loewy, PLLC, where she practices immigration law serving multinational corporate clients.
Come hear them in discussion with Québec Delegate Jean-François Hould that will be moderated by Consul General for Canada John Cruickshank.
And bring questions important to you and your business!